Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Test Drive of The "Re-write"

Re-write plan (draft)

1. Re-write based on Patrica Grace "Cousins"
2. Language features : Colonial , New Zealand and traditional environment
3. Split in long sentence and paragraph
4. Based on the taumau (marriage) of Makareta

Cousins - After Marriage
Re-write by Alan Koon

"Makareta , where are you ?" Where have you been. It is 9pm right now.
I've seen Makareta walking slowing from the home corridor and she's look very tired.

"You looked very tired and seems to be working for long time ? " __ said. Makareta was working in a processing factory, it is a permenent work. But it is in night shift.

Makareta was on taumau (an arranged marriage) to a men. She was willing to accept this Maori marriage. After she was married, She was give birth and having two children. They called Tui and Maria. Tui is ten years old . Maria was only seven.

Her partner was sitting on the sofa. Drinking cans of Tui, and watching television with the kids.
Their home was old-fashioned. Door sign was marked KAURI. In-side the celling was in rolled shape. Table was covered with carpet. But it was clean and tidy.

"Dad , Can you tell me how do you meet mummy ?" Maria said.

"I met her through our tribes and their family , we meet together on an arranged marriage" Dad said.

"Arranged marriage ? What is that" Tui joined the conversation

"You know...

(To be continued... _

4 comments:

Yasodhara said...

Tena koe
Hi Alan,
It's very thoughtful of you, and courageous as well, to do a re-write on such difficult theme. I've read the novel, Cousins, awhile back for one of my papers, and I found it quite difficult to grasp as it's Maori culture; culture which I know much nothing about, although I've been in this country for 16 years. I think I should understand it better if I read it again, as I've been very interested in learning Te Reo Maori recently.
Good luck with the re-write.
E noho ra.

Yasodhara said...

Tena koe
Hi Alan,
It's very thoughtful of you, and courageous as well, to do a re-write on such difficult theme. I've read the novel, Cousins, awhile back for one of my papers, and I found it quite difficult to grasp as it's Maori culture; culture which I know much nothing about, although I've been in this country for 16 years. I think I should understand it better if I read it again, as I've been very interested in learning Te Reo Maori recently.
Good luck with the re-write.
E noho ra.

Yasodhara said...

Kia ora.
Hi everyone,
Can somebody delete the second posting, please? I don't know what's happened. I was trying to leave the screen and then it printed again the same message.
E pouri ana ahau mo taku whakararuraru i a koe.

Hannah said...

Hi, Alan.
That's actually a good idea to put NZ's traditional custom into your rewrite. Your short introductive story makes me suck into it. And I wonder how the story can relate to colonial nature.
Cheers.